Saturday, December 25, 2004

 

Lighting the Yule Blog

If you're reading this, it must be Christmas time again. To give you a sense of what the holidays are like around the Magazine Mansion (and those who frequent it), here are a few carefully wrapped posts to put under the tree:


The Family Tree

Every year of my childhood--and a few rare years in my adulthood--my dad and I trek up into the 120-acre woods he owns in New Hampshire in order to find a Christmas tree. One year, I was lucky enough to have a photographer friend with me. Until we turn it into a coffee-table book, this version of the story will have to suffice.

Family Tree, The Prequel
Being the story of an early Christmas tree-hunting trip with my father and my grandfather.


Making A List...

My mom found one of my old letters to Santa, written when I was eight (and a half). My mother was a stickler for etiquette, so I'm sure she was pleased to note that I remembered my manners and had the presence of mind to thank Santa for the M-16 rifle from last year.

The Brownie vs. The Scalper
One of those instant classics, in which my little nubbin of a daughter squares off against a hulking, nose-breathing, mom's-basement-dwelling toy scalper who was hogging all the goodies. Sit back and enjoy.


Run, Baby Jesus!

If you're new to the blog, this may well have been what brought you. It's one of my more popular entries, and with good reason. My son's interpretation of the birth of Christ is priceless, and the thought of it will warm me for many Christmases to come. Hope it does the same for you.

Happy Holidays.

Yours,
From Somewhere on the Masthead


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?