Tuesday, February 15, 2005

 

In Which Hearts Are Won and Broken (Again)...

Despite my big build-up to today, Valentine's Day is actually not such a big deal in our house. Her Lovely Self has no use for it, and so consequently I'm not supposed to either. But just to be on the safe side, I still come home with flowers.

As I was commenting on a few other blogs earlier: this day, I was surprised to find a little something for me when I got home: a package of athletic socks sitting on the bed.

"What's this?" I asked my wife.

She replied, "I asked you this morning if there was anything you needed."

(Pause)

"On the morning of Valentine's Day, you ask me if I need anything and the answer you heard was 'Socks'??" I asked, perhaps a tad shrilly. Although come to think of it, I actually do need socks too.

I guess the lesson is, always enunciate.

Lest you think it was just one big romantic comedy here at the Magazine Mansion, I must also report that a heart was broken too, and this day it was my daughter's heart, that sweet, 4-year-old pulsing light of my being. Although it must be said that pulsing light reports having her heart broken several times per day. This time, she was crushed because the stem of the carnation I had given her had broken, and she felt this entitled her to Mommy's bouquet. She then tried to haul the bouquet--great-grandma's antique vase and all--off the kitchen table and up to her room. I was forced to intervene and there ensued much throwing of the tantrum.

In the midst of the wailing and gnashing of teeth (what I like to think of as a Sneak Preview of the Teen Years), I sagely observed that splaying oneself upon the kitchen floor and crying oneself to the brink of hiccups was not likely to solve anything.

In a blink, the hysterics ceased and this tiny 4-year-old woman stared up at me with such intensity I actually took one step backward.

"I wouldn't have to cry if you would just follow my directions," she said evenly, then went back to the wailing and gnashing and splaying and crying.

Man, no problems enunciating there.

Hope you all had a happy VD.

Yours,
From Somewhere on the Masthead

Comments:
You have me dying with laughter here! Oh My God - are you going to have your hands full!

I'm glad I have a son. (smiles devilishly)

tee hee, that story will give me a good chuckle every time I think about it.

Thanks,

Sharfa
 
I think your daughter and I are soul sisters.

Man, if only people would follow my directions! (:

And you are right...the tantrums you see at 4 are in large part due to the hormonal changes happening there. It really IS a preview of the teen years.
My neice is going through the same thing---will she be 4 or 14 today? Hard to tell.
Good luck!
 
Love this story, and the one before it too!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares