Monday, October 31, 2005

 

October Moments

Like a lot of people, fall is my favorite time of year, and October is my favorite month for a lot of reasons, and not all of them being reasons you might pick.

Because of Halloween, October is a month associated with the spirit world, a world I happened to spend some time in when I was a kid. It started purely by accident: my parents bought an 18th century farmhouse in which some very strange and unexplainable things happened. We lived in that house for 5 years and in those 5 years, I saw, heard, and felt things that were, to be blunt, unbelievable. And yet they happened.

If you believe in that sort of thing, then you might be interested in these October moments, which include not only moments I spent in that house long ago, but also other strange moments that have occurred in Octobers throughout my life.

And if you don't believe in that sort of thing, but like a good story anyway, then you might still be interested to read these. Just don't ask me to prove it all to you. Because even though some of these stories come with photographic evidence, if you're inclined to write these off as fiction, then nothing I say or do will change your mind. In the end, you'll just have to take me on faith, which is, of course, the belief in something you can't prove.

These stories simply underscore that belief:

The Man in the Church: As I've gotten older, my sensitivity for the unseen world has dulled, but it will probably never go away. This is the story of one of the last powerful experiences I had, at an old church, on the eve of a friend's wedding.

What The Brownie Saw: A brief glimpse of that world, through the eyes of my 4-year-old daughter.

News From The Other Side: During a very stressful time in my life, an unexpected messenger delivered words of comfort to ease my mind. Not terribly extraordinary, until you realize that the messenger appeared in my bedroom closet, and there was no possible way he could have appeared to me, being dead and all.

The Telltale Tapping: In 1980, my family spent our first night in the old farmhouse. And almost immediately, my brother and I were made aware that we were sharing the house with...others. Includes weird photo goodness.

Cemetery Tales: A high school history project turns into something substantially more profound. More photos. And no, that isn't smoke.

God's in the Overalls:
Even though it happened in July, this moment--in which the Brownie's life is saved by the intervention of a strange old man in my back yard--has October written all over it.

Anxiety In The Attic: Perhaps my worst experience in that old farmhouse, and one that launched me on a journey of discovery that was both fascinating and frightening.

More to come. Feel free to read as many as you can stand.

Yours,
From Somewhere on the Masthead


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares